This beautiful lady is my Aunt Idella -- my father's younger sister. The picture was taken in 1942; she was about 23. She was my mother's friend in high school in Emmett, Idaho, and that is how my parents met. Her oldest son John is my age. I have some happy memories of her from my childhood and teenage years, but since then I only saw her three times -- at my wedding, at my grandfather's funeral, and at my father's funeral. I remember sitting with her and my three uncles for a few minutes at the luncheon following my father's funeral. It was fun to sit and listen to them share memories, joke with each other, and feel how much they loved being together.I remember feeling at the time how much I really wanted to spend more time with Aunt Idella and learn more about her. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see her again. She died on October 27, 2008. But, I did get to know more about her from her obituary, which is printed below. She was an amazing woman. You might want to visit the funeral home website included in her obituary. You can see more pictures of her, although most of them are not labeled. Also you can search for a recording of her funeral. I have not listened to it all but I particularly enjoyed the life sketch given by her daughter Kristen, which follows a piano and violin duet and the opening prayer. (Note: The pictures and recording will only be available until December 22.)
OBITUARY:
Idella Borup Larson, 89, of Logan, Utah passed away Monday, October 27, 2008 in Preston, Idaho. She was born August 24, 1919 in Emmett, Idaho to William Thomas and Essie Idella Lee Borup. She was raised in Emmett and graduated from Emmett High School. The third of seven children, Idella was known for her sweet and loving personality and her creativity. She was a talented seamstress and dreamed of going to New York City to become a fashion designer after graduation. Instead, she met Keith Parkinson Larson in a moment she described as "love at first sight." The two were married and sealed for time and all eternity on August 21, 1942 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. Keith served in the US Navy and the couple spent their first several years of marriage moving around the country, finally settling in Preston.
Idella filled her life with church and community service. She served in the Stake Young Women Presidency, the Relief Society presidency, the Primary and the PTA. She had a close-knit group of friends and was one of the original members of the Pickwick Club. Idella had a love of words and writing. She earned her master’s degree in English from Utah State University and attended Stanford to work on her doctorate. She taught English at USU until she was 65 and continued teaching as a emeritus faculty for five years after that. She was given rave reviews by her students, and was known for her humor and her tough love for USU athletes.
Keith died in 1971 of cancer, after which [Idella] moved to Logan. After her retirement, she served an LDS family History mission in San Diego, CA. She had an adventurous spirit and traveled throughout Europe, China, Israel, Egypt, India and Nepal. She was a wonderful writer and story-teller, and often wrote about the places she visited. In her later years she lived in Preston and then moved to the Pioneer Valley Lodge in North Logan where she was often described as "the life of the party."
Idella’s strong faith and testimony sustained her throughout her trials and were a strength to many others. She was generous, wise, loving, and humble. Perhaps her best-known trait was her sense of humor – the combination of her quick wit and indomitable optimism was the perfect insurance against bad days.
She is survived by her children John (Laura) Larson, of Chicago, IL; Craig (Margaret) Larson, of Salt Lake City, UT; Kristen (Scott) Beckstead, of Preston; 15 grandchildren, 21 great grandchildren and siblings, Bill Borup, Byron (Margaret) Borup, Keith (Gladys) Borup, and Rex (Sharon) Borup. She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband Keith, a sister Melba Pope, and a brother Le[e ]Roy Borup.
Funeral services will be held Saturday, November 1, 2008 at 12:00 noon in the Preston 1st Ward chapel 213 South 200 East in Preston, with Bishop Brent Dodge conducting. Friends may call Saturday from 10-11:30 a.m. at the church. Interment will be in the Logan Cemetery. Arrangements are under the direction of Webb Funeral Home in Preston. Memories and condolences may be sent to the family at http://www.webbmortuary.com/.
Idella was dearly loved and will be missed. Happy face in the morning, Gram.
***
5 comments:
Thanks for posting this. What an amazing woman. We have a wonderful extended family, don't we?
Mom,
She looks so much like Grandpa and consequently, you too. I tried to access the info from the funeral home but it wouldn't work. Maybe it is my computer?
I remember when I came to BYU sitting in the CougarEat with Grandpa and him talking about her. He had such love and admiration in his eyes. It really touched me. It was so obvious how much he loved his sister. It also made me sad because I realized how little I knew about my Grandpa's life.
-Jen
Jen,
Did you get to the web page and then it wouldn't work? I just clicked the link in the obituary and it went right to the funeral home page. At the bottom left you can search for obituaries and find the pictures and comments that were posted. If you click on listen to services at the bottom right, you can search for the recording of the service.
If you couldn't go directly to the web site by clicking on the link, you can copy the link and find it that way.
Thanks for sharing your memory of Grandpa with me.
Love,
Mom
Mom,
I can listen to the services but I cannot access the obituary part. It just flashes there for a second and then turns into a ocean scene-waves coming onto the shore and music playing.
That is the part I was really hoping to see-the pictures.
I listened to the musical number (which was so beautiful) and a couple of talks.
-Jen
I loved reading about Great Aunt Idella's life. Seems like she was an awesome lady. I could see the pictures on the mortuary site, but they were so tiny, they were hard to see. Oh well!
I love you, Mommy. I hope you are not worried about us, because we are okay.
Post a Comment